Saturday, June 21, 2008

Sydney Highlights

This computer won't let me connect my photo memory card, so pics are pending. However, since I leave for New Zealand tomorrow, I figure it is high time for an Australian update. I have been in Australia for 5 nights now, and several things strike me about the greater Sydney area:

**I am back to a Western world (everything costs a lot, people speak in English, I no longer can see who is a foreigner, no one stares, there's a TARGET).

**Sydney is a very liveable city... it is a comfortable size and has a great public transportation system that consists of buses, ferries, and trains. Plus people are friendly, there's water everywhere, and I can understand what everyone is saying to me again!

**I am no longer in tropical summer weather (it is winter here and today was the shortest day of the year)

** My body is falling apart (first I had food poisoning from the airplane food, then I got incredibly seasick from a whale-watching trip, then I got a nasty ear infection-- probably from the rivers in Thailand. At least hospitals in Australia are nice!).

Anyhow, some of the sightseeing highlights of my time here include the following:
1) I stayed on a beach north of Sydney for 2 nights. My last morning there it actually warmed up enough for me to be comfortable in light clothes and I took a long walk down a gorgeous empty sandy beach with a latte in my hand and nothing pressing. Fantastic!

2)Seeing many of the traditional sightseeing spots: the Sydney Opera House, the botanical gardens, the zoo, the bridge, Circular Quay, Hyde Park, Chinatown, Darling Harbour etc.

3)Whale watching-- as I said before I got insanely seasick, but it was well worth it! I saw 14 different humpback whales in the wild including small baby whales and massive ones. Some got within 20 feet of our boat! On the last stretch we were with an active pod of 7 whales for about 20 minutes. It was incredible!

4) Tour of the Blue Mountains with a stop at the Wildlife Park: I saw the gorgeous national park just about 2 hours from Sydney. I rode the world's steepest railway train (once used for coal mining) down into the rainforest below the Three Sisters and then hiked back up by a massive waterfall. Not only did I get to see the beautiful mountain ranges, but along the way stopped at a wildlife park where I got to pet koalas and feed kangaroos. Both have the softest fur! While the park was a slightly contrived way to see Aussie wildlife, it was still amazing. Plus I saw a pair of kangaroos hopping through the bush on our drive home. So I feel like I just got the close up experience at the park and the natural experience on the road.

I'm excited to see some familiar faces in Auckland tomorrow. It is the first time in weeks that I will see someone I know! However, I am sad to leave Australia. I wish I had more time here. I really enjoy Sydney.

One week and a few days till I am back in the states. Love and miss yall!

1 comment:

Heather C. said...

If I'm correct -- you're in Cali today!!! YAY!!! Just wanted to send you love and I'm so excited to see you and hear about all of your new life adventures :)