Monday, June 9, 2008

In Beijing!

Hi all. Just wanted to let you know I made it safe to Beijing and have survived my first day of solo travel. It has been a crazy day of dealing with new transportation systems (including a bike cab that ripped me off!! boo!) and exploring the city. I think I walked for about 7 hours straight today. I have no idea how many miles I walked all together. My hostel is right next to Tiananmen Square and the Forbidden City and I explored both of those. I also went to the Lama Temple and wandered around that area. For dinner I had the famous Peking Duck and an awesome mushroom dish from a restaurant Lonely Planet featured. On the map, it looked close to the subway. In reality, it was SO FAR AWAY. But the food ended up being worth the hike and I saw a lot of random interesting things along the way. Basically a day where I oriented myself by foot... just the way I like doing things :) I'm earning all my Chinese food and seeing life along the way!

Off to read for a bit, I'm exhausted! But I'm safe and IN CHINA!!!

2 comments:

Heather C. said...

SOOO super excited for you on your solo travel adventure! It will be the perfect time to reflect on all of the growing you've done in the past year. I can't WAIT to see you in Nashville and hear all about it my dear!!

Gail said...

Yay! Thanks for the update! Super jealous and excited for you.