Sunday, June 1, 2008

4 thoughts of the moment

1. I made a to-do list last night to organize in my mind all the things I have to do before I leave in less than a week. It has 82 items on it. Can you guess how I feel right about now? And yet, I'm still procrastinating and blogging instead of packing/grading/cleaning...

2. I am getting really sad to have some of my coworkers leave next year (they scatter all over the world). We had our staff goodbye yesterday and it made me realize a)what a great community I am in, and b) how important each person is to it. As I think about people leaving, I am also sad that my 10th graders will move on to 11th grade (and therefore, will not be taught by me). They are really great kids. While I know I will still have them around next year, I will miss the daily encounters. Plus, while I don't know many of them, I am sad to watch the 12th graders that I have worked with through Inkblotz or soccer go off to colleges all over the world. I guess transition is something I'm going to have to get used to in an international school.

3. I am starting to get nervous for my trip. This time next week I will be in my first of 4 countries I am travelling to solo. As you all well know, I am very much a people person. This 3 week trip will be a big test for me to see how well I can function independently. I sure hope I pass! But, apart from the nerves, I am stoked to experience China, Thailand, Australia, and New Zealand. Plus Japan at the end of the summer.

4. I WILL BE BACK IN THE STATES IN 30 DAYS! When I get back I will be 10 days shy of a calendar year abroad. I can't believe it. I am SOOOOOO excited to see people and have easier communication with those of you who are far away. I am eager to see how I've changed. I find that it is easiest to ID ways that you've changed once you go back to a place/people you know well. I know this year has altered me in many ways. I excited to discover and share my changes.

While I'm not anticipating many more blog posts in this hectic week, I am sure that there will be many to follow as I begin my travels. Please leave me messages to let me know that I'm connected to people as I migrate around the world alone! :)

One month!

3 comments:

Mysteries of The Orient said...

Let me know if you need help in China!

Gail said...

Hi!!! I love you and am so proud of you for taking this big adventure. I wouldn't be me if I didn't say it, so please be safe. :-) I can't wait to catch up. I'm sorry I've been awful about being in touch this year. So glad we have a month to catch up! Make the most of your travels and chance to learn more about yourself.

Sarah L said...

Thanks guys!