Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Only a few days left to be Korean...

I only am in Korea a few more days, so I am living it up Korean style. As you may have inferred from my last few posts, this has been a stressful few weeks. So, to take off a bit of the pressure, I went with a few coworkers to a jimjilbang tonight. I did the usual sauna time: soaked in green tea spas, gave myself a salt scrub, sat under mineral showers, let an old lady agressively scrub me down. Then I tried something new... cupping. What, might you ask, is cupping? Well it is a popular Korean method for releasing toxins and releaving stress. Basically a woman rubbed down my back with oil and gave me massive hickeys with cups that are somehow supposed to increase circulation and get rid of toxins. Hmmm... First she passed cups (that looked like tea cups) over a massive bunson burner. The heated cups were immediatly placed on my back and the heat created a suctioning effect. Overall, it was a fairly painful process but it made me feel strong (and brave...or stupid, not sure yet which. It might depend if I can sleep with my welts). I doubt I'll do it again, but I figure I might as well be openminded every once in awhile. Quite the experience. QUITE.

Check out my back and my hickeys of healing. HAHA

I look like I've been attacked by aliens.

1 comment:

Heather C. said...

OMG -- this is fantastically awesome!!! I hope they don't hurt!!