Monday, December 1, 2014

Ciao, Ethiopia!

Alas, it is time already to write about the end of my time in Ethiopia! While I am really excited to get back to one of my “homes” (Uganda) and to have a month to let my brain catch up before collecting more data, I am really quite sad to leave this school community and country.  My favorite thing about my job is that I get to meet many people. In Addis, all of the folks I have met have been incredibly open and welcoming. They’ve included me on countless adventures (whether trying to catch a neighborhood stray to free it of oppressive matted dredlocks, dancing at staff parties, or driving around the city to feed homeless). I have been privileged to step into a range of community projects and am so grateful for the new perspectives that these experiences have offered me. Addis is a really interesting and vibrant city and the school community dynamic and welcoming.   


Continuing with the “where I’ve slept” motif, I have three more locations to catalog:
Bed#6: I’ve met many new friends here, and Kathy is one of them. Kathy is the sort of person who instantly makes you feel at home in a space. When Kathy had to chaperone a grade 5 overnight trip (bless her!) I stayed at her apartment with her thoughtful, kind son. We had a great time playing Wii and discussing literary analysis (a totally normal discussion with an elementary aged kid, right? Love this guy).


Bed #7: For the last two weeks I have been staying with a couple I worked with in Korea that are new to Addis this year. It has been so fun to laugh with Heidi and George and to watch them transition to a new continent and culture. I am so grateful for their hospitality. They have really gone above and beyond hosting expectations and have driven me all over town, kept me well fed, and have taken me on a range of Addis adventures. Heidi and George are such wonderful examples of what Christianity should look like, I am so grateful to have them as friends.



Bed #8: I spent part of my last weekend camping in Menagesha Suba Forest, supposedly the oldest reserve in Africa (mid-1400’s). I headed to the forest with another Korea connection: Ken and Charmaine and their son, Wes. Ken was the camping master and both my tent and air mattress were courtesy of them (bedding courtesy of Chris/Amanda/Heidi/George… it was cold, I needed a lot). I was so glad to step into wilderness for a few days and also reconnect with old friends. We shared a lot of laughter during our short stay and had plenty of adventures (thanks, in part, to the smoker that lured in wildlife with its lovely aroma…. those slow cooked ribs were amazing and worth every hyena howl).



Ameseginaleh, everyone for your incredible hospitality! Until our paths cross again.

No comments: