Monday, December 8, 2014

Familiar Spaces

Last week, I returned to Uganda for some friend time, catch up, and R&R. In some ways, it feels like things haven’t changed. As I sip Tuskers in friends’ yards, watch all my shoes and socks instantly turn the red hue of Ugandan dirt, listen to turacos and weaver birds incessantly chatter in the trees, acquire new mosquito bites by the hour, and laugh with old friends this place still feels familiar. At the same time, new buildings and faces and all my friends’ babies that have transformed from infants to personality brimming toddlers remind me that a lot can change in two and a half years. 

In the last week, I have finally slowed down my pace a little bit. I did not realize how exhausted I was until I arrived at the home of my dear friends Johnny and Amber.  Only as I finally allowed myself to sleep in, catch up on my work, take some time for myself did the realization that for 3 months I had been “on” sink in. It has been so nice to take leisurely mornings and sip my coffee in the garden before catching up on my work. Johnny and his daughter, Malia, have filled my last week with German chatter, laughter, and music. I am so excited for reunions with his wife, Amber, as she returns from the US with their newborn son. I am very grateful that bed# 9 was in such a familiar home with comfortable friendships. Thanks, Johnny for hosting me (and Amber, even if you weren’t in the country yet).

No comments: