Sunday, September 19, 2010

Walks

Benvolio and I took a long walk today to a produce market down the hill. He is an energetic and obedient walker, so I thought it sounded like a good idea. As we exited the nice compounds that comprise Lubowa and wandered our way into the lower wetlands, I began to doubt myself. I quickly discovered that I was not taking my puppy on the beginner's walking loop. [I should note that this was my first time taking this route. Numerous people had told me that it was a safe but interesting shortcut to Zana market. And interesting it was!]

As birds called from the brush, I remembered that people told me there were chimps living in this area. I'm not really sure how Benvolio would react to a chimpanzee, but luckily we did not have to see. Giant estates transitioned into buzzing shanty towns. People and animals abounded. Women looked up from open fire cooking to smile and exchange greetings. Children balancing water bottles on their heads darted out of allies to shout excitedly in Lugandan about a white woman... with a dog! Goats and chickens meandered into the road. Stray cats skittered under stools and cows lumbered down water-logged dirt paths. Shirtless boys and men played barefoot soccer on litter strewn fields and shopkeepers rearranged their ware. We dodged puddles, boda-bodas, disoriented cattle, and families walking home from church. We slowed to answer every single "how are you?" and heard dozens of "I am well/fine" replies.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that my usually fearful puppy did quite well heading to the market. He walked beside me and only cowered a couple times (when stray dogs came too close). We even crossed a major road and fandangled our way through a crowd to barter for fruit and vegetables. All the while, my little guy followed obligingly. He occasionally looked up at me with a note of hesitation, but overall, did well.

Did well, that is, until we saw a sickly looking turkey. Let me revise: a sickly looking turkey plus a very normal looking guy selling plastic chairs and bowls. I don't know what it was about this seemingly non-threatening pair that set him off, but Benvolio froze. He crumpled to the ground and completely refused to move. I had to pick him up and carry him about a block. Now, he may be a puppy, but he ain't a small dog!

After a bit, he let me put him down. Then he proceeded to drag me as quickly as he could back up the hill.

While I found it quite fun to see a new side of life here, perhaps the usual Lubowa route is more Benvolio's style at this stage of the game.

No comments: