Sunday, August 16, 2009

First 2 Weeks Down

I have been back in Korea for 2 weeks now, and boy have they been busy! I guess the easiest way to recap is to go more or less day by day.

Sunday Aug. 2- got on a plane in SF, waited on the runway 3 hrs before taking off (thank goodness my friend, Emily, was on the flight), flew for 11ish hours, waited 1 1/2 hours in the Incheon airport for the TCIS crew to come together, took a 3 hr bus ride back to the warmest apartment ever! Arrival time: midnight Mon

Tuesday- 7:30 am back to school- about 7 pm... caffeinated my way through the jetlag; exhausting. but fun day catching up with all my friends! It is so nice to have a community of people around me who I love and who care for me. It really felt like coming home in many ways.

Wednesday-- I had work all day and then went with the gang to a jimjilbang for an awesome scrub down that night.

Thursday-- Day 3 of work. This was the first day of registration for the kids and I spent a lot of the day hearing about former students' summers. After work on Thursday, the chaos of soccer camp began. Somehow I got convinced last spring that it was a great idea for the girls to come back early for camp (even though I had work all day and the dorms were not open yet). The result? Double days after work and 9 girls sleeping in my apartment. Sounds crazy? Well, it was a bit. But it was a lot of fun.

Friday- Sunday-- soccer camp, soccer camp, soccer camp. Here's a pic of the girls finding creative ways to use my space and lack of plates: one mixing bowl + a whole box of cereal + a few spoons, take a bite and pass. I thought it was absolutely adorable.


Every day we played soccer for about 5-8 hours. It was blazing hot and completely exhausting, but a lot of fun. Evenings we ate out together. One night we went downtown and then had a crazy night of norebang (karioke). 6 pm Sunday the girls returned to their dorm worlds and I finally had a chance to get ready for the first day of school. Would I do it again? I don't know. But it was a great adventure with some wonderful girls.

Monday-Friday-- This year I am teaching Writing 2 (grade 10) and English 9. So far, my kids seem great. At this point, I really feel like I know most of the kids in the school (I've taught the vast majority of both the 11th and 12th grade classes and have about 1/2 of the 9th and 10th graders currently). It's nice to feel so comfortable teaching.

Friday night- For her birthday, my good friend, Jen, wanted to have a Star Trek party. Accordingly, about 25 of us did our best to dress in Star Trek fashion and played a variety of nerdy Star Trek games. Good times.


Sat-Sun-- I went up to Seoul and Suwon and met up with Lauren! I am so excited to have her in Korea and can't wait for her to experience the joys of international school!


And that, my friends, is my first 2 weeks in sum. Hope you enjoyed the play by play.

No comments: