Saturday, July 14, 2007

Korean Firsts

Hello friends. Wanted to let you know that I am safe in Korea. After a long flight I was greeted in the airport by Sarah Yu's cousin (James) and Sarah W. We somehow managed to get all my stuff to Sarah's apartment. It is quite a tight fit, but so much fun. Right now Sarah doesn't have internet, so I will keep this brief.

So far Sarah and I have taken tours and tried to ignore our jetlag. Sarah Yu has been introducing me to the food that is Korean...I have tasted numerous dishes that you certainly would not find at home (like omelettes stuffed with rice with chili shrimp over them... suprisingly good!). I have had some delicious noodle dishes and have begun to enjoy Kimchee more (I am sure by the end of my time here I will love it).

One of the most interesting things about Korea is the random things they have thought of that we haven't-- my favorite find thus far is the "etiquette bell" (in bathrooms you can push a button and it makes toilet flushing sounds to mask any unseemly noises). Haha!

Another random tidbit before I go... I am going to have to get used to the staring. As one of the sole white people that the average Korean encounters daily, I am subject to a large amount of gawking. People will literally sit one foot away from me and just blatently stare. I really don't think I am that interesting. But to Koreans, I guess I'm a novelty!

Anyhow, leaving tomorrow to see some temples in southern Korea. Will post again when have access to the internet. Leave me happy notes!

1 comment:

Able Ponder said...

whoa! you're already there!

keep us updated, girl. i love the etiquette bell-- it's what I never knew I wanted.

-alexe