Saturday, July 21, 2007

DMZ

Yesterday Sarah and I went to the DMZ. It was a very interesting experience. First of all, my last week filled with museums and the like has made me realize how very grateful I am that I have not had to experience living in a war zone. Koreans have definitely not been that lucky. It was odd driving out to the DMZ (the area that separates north and south Korea)... while there is no war going on between the two sides presently, the divide is still a highly active military zone. For miles before reaching the border there are barbed wire fences and guard stands. When you actually reach the line there are guards from each side staring each other down and trying to psych each other out. It seemed to be such a contrast-- signs, museums, etc spoke of strides towards reunification. However the line itself did not reflect this "desire." Instead it was clear evidence to me that there is still a deep division between the two parts of this country. As I write this, I don't want to seem as if I saw no hope. There is a railroad that has been built between north and south. There is also a road that has been constructed. The signs and paintings in the northernmost station in South Korea alluded to a unified Korea; as did the soldiers who gave us our tour. Also, have to say-- I stood in North Korea! (monitored the entire time in an area that is designated for the purpose, but still!)

On a lighter note- we are off to get our copies of Harry Potter. Then Sarah Yu's great aunt (who is apparently famous for her cooking in the family) is making us lunch. Then-- get this-- we are off to a mudfestival! What does that mean? Not exactly sure... but I know there are mud slides, mud kayaking, mud baths, mud Tarzan pits, mud madness! Awesome! Finally, Sarah W and I are dropping some of my stuff at my school so I get to see Daejeon! I'm excited.

Stay in touch people!

No comments: