Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Full time research

I’ve gotten a few questions as to why I haven’t been posting very often. In short, it’s my life as an international researcher. As I work on projects full time, 95% of my life can’t be publically shared. I’m out doing things (ex: I’ve participated in about a dozen service-learning projects), but ethically I can’t describe these experiences on a blog. I talk to people often, but almost always play the part of listener. Very little of my life fits into the category of “my own time,” hence the silence.

As someone who is used to being very social, this is a strange transition. That’s not to say that researching isn’t enjoyable. I have a deep interest in people’s stories and perceptions. I genuinely enjoy exploring the topics my research focuses on. It is just an odd shift from my usual life, where research is more of a part-time endeavor.  Where there are plenty of pieces within my daily activities that I can share freely.

I took a day last week to “play tourist” in Nairobi. I spent the morning in Nairobi National Park. While this national park is certainly more sparse than most of the game parks I’ve been in, I relished the ability to watch baby giraffes awkwardly “run” laps. To watch zebra graze. To spot ostriches standing tall, with the city skyline as a distant backdrop.


Next I visited the David Sheldrick elephant orphanage and the giraffe center. I had been to both places before, but who doesn’t love teeny tiny elephants and being kissed by a giraffe (it took 4 tries before this photo was actually timed right. I got a lot of giraffe action).


I spent the afternoon watching a cultural performance along with thousands of local school children (somehow I missed the memo that it was school field trip day). Dancers performed dances from the different Kenyan tribes and an acrobatic group wowed the audience. 


Finally, I popped into the famed Kiguri beads store, and splurged on a funky new necklace. All in all, a fabulous day (that I could actually photograph and share! Yay!).



I’m looking forward to next week’s midterm break and the ability to explore Kenya a bit! 



No comments: