Sunday, February 13, 2011

Election Update

Many of you have sent me concerned emails lately regarding the upcoming presidential elections in Uganda, so I figured I would update everyone.

I have accumulated enough groceries to last me weeks on end, extra candles and kerosene lamps, and spare gasoline for my car. I have also planned weeks of lessons that my students could complete from anywhere in the world. We have started dismissing early from school and will be closed for about a week beginning this Thursday. However, it seems that (hopefully) none of these precautions will be necessary. A series of political rallies have been completed peacefully. Security has made its presence felt on street corners and major roads and extra military reinforcements have been brought in to quell any potential uprisings quickly. So far, things have gone very smoothly indeed.

Everyone is hoping that peace will persist for the next week here. Presidential elections begin on Thursday and a series of other elections take place in the week after that. The turmoil in Egypt has made everyone a bit more jumpy than usual, but it seems that everything here is under control.

If you are the praying sort, please pray for stability in Uganda in the next few days! Please know also that I am in a suburb (Lubowa) a good way out of the city center and am highly unlikely to be directly caught in the middle if any potential chaos.

No comments: