Thursday, February 4, 2010

I'm moving to Africa!!!

I think I will have to change the name of my blog soon! I just signed a contract to go to the International School of Uganda next year and while June will mark the end of my Korean adventures, August will mark the start of my African ones! I am going to be teaching at a highly diverse school in Kampala, Uganda. I am incredibly excited!

This has been an interesting week indeed. Thursday, I flew to London for a job fair thinking I was likely going to accept a job in Europe. Friday, Sat., and Sun. I had whirlwind interviews with 8 schools on 3 continents. Monday, I signed a contract to teach IB and MYP English at the International School of Uganda. Tuesday, I flew back to Korea (landed on Wednesday). Today, Thursday, I have began talking publicly about my move with people in Korea and abroad! My goodness this has been a bit crazy (or maybe more than a bit)!

I really feel as though ISU is the right fit for me for next year, but I can't help but smile at the wide array of reactions I have encountered as I have shared my news: excitement, tears, bewilderment, etc. One kid today literally open-mouth gaped for about 20 seconds before muttering, "You're going to Africa?!?" My favorite reactions, by far, were those who tried to act suave, but clearly had no idea where in the world Uganda was situated. I loved watching their faces contort and their forced smiles while they asked questions that indicated they did not know whether I was moving to the Middle East or Africa (neither of which were acceptable locations, in their modest opinions). At the same time, I have also been comforted by the surprising volume of connections that surfaced: Ugandan medical trips, teaching jobs, volunteer opportunities, hosted choir children, etc... this is really one small world! I have heard SO much positive feedback about Uganda, each day I feel more confident that I am going to love it!

I know the hardest part in any move is the people and things you leave behind. I already feel a bittersweet sadness for the communities that I will depart from and feel the voids of those whose proximity will no longer be minimal. However, I can't wait for the adventures that will come.

If you are ever in Uganda and want to take an African safari (or want to relax in a temperate winter-free climate), shoot me an email. I am happy to be your host!

The link to my school's page: http://www.isu.ac.ug/
A few pics from the school's webpage:

No comments: