Friday, December 12, 2008

More calculations


I'm thinking about quitting English teaching and taking up math instruction instead. I mean, no more papers...clear right/wrong answers...fewer ESL issues...no grammar instruction...no more papers...no more papers... no more papers!!!

Okay, so I'm not really thinking about teaching math. But these days, a couple (or several hundred) fewer pages of student writing would be pretty nice. I did some rough calculations below on the hours of my life I've used grading papers this semester.

I teach 3 courses: Writing 1, Writing 2, and English 10. This semesters I have read (with varying degrees of seriousness) the following:
approx. 25 pages for each of my 8 writing 1 students (approx. 400 total)
approx. 36 pages for each of my 30 writing 2 students (approx. 1080 total)
approx. 45 pages for each of my 37 English 10 students (approx. 1665 total)

=3,145 pages of student writing in the last 4 months. And I teach really small classes in comparison to the states!! What was I thinking when I chose to teach English?!?

No comments: