Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Soccer Season

Last weekend we had our KAIAC tournament to conclude the soccer season. All 8 schools in our conference travelled up to Seoul and we had a two day event on the American air force base. In the end, TCIS girls ended 4th (one seat higher than we ended our season). I was proud of them. Considering that about half the team had never touched a soccer ball before the season, they made a lot of progress. It was fun to be a part of.

In general, coaching was a great experience. It was a lot of fun to get to know 24 girls (22 players and 2 managers) both on and off the field. I knew some of the girls before, but most were ones I did not have in classes or other activities. It was also great to get to know Tiece (head coach) and her husband Ted. It's funny, but I was suprised how much I enjoyed practicing again. It had been awhile since I had been a part of a team. I missed it! It has been so nice to have the comradery of a team again along with the adrenaline rush of games. It's definitely different on the coaching side of things than the playing side, but it was still nice to feel the team spirit. I'm proud of the girls.

Anyhow, as much as I have truly enjoyed coaching, I am VERY excited to have some free time again. Coaching has really consumed my life the last few months. With 3 games a week (some 2 hours away or more) and 3 days of practice a week, I've had NO free time at all! I'm stoked to have a couple extra hours a day and my weekends to myself again. But I am definitely sad to be done with the season. I am already (after just 2 days) feeling a void that 24 crazy high school girls used to fill.

I can't believe that the season is over. Really, I can't believe that the school year is almost over! I've been in Korea almost 10 months!!! CRAZY, I say.

Team shot (courtesy of Ted):

No comments: