Sunday, August 12, 2007

A bit like a matador

Hi friends. I am finally surfacing the day before school starts to share that I am alive and well. I have been in a whilrwind of meetings, orientations, setting up apartments/classrooms, meeting new friends, shopping for necessities, etc since I have arrived. I am confident, though, that life here is going to be good. I'll break it down (also, added pics to shutterfly):

The apartment: almost settled. I decorated and it feels much more like home. My building is actually filled with all TCIS teachers (all the single females... sometimes referred to as "the nunnery"). It is a lot of fun having everyone so close. It is almost like being in a college dorm again.



The people: I REALLY like my coworkers. I feel SO lucky that there was a huge wave of young unmarried teachers who came this year because it makes it much easier to have an immediate social network. We have had so much fun together getting to know each other and the city. We have celebrated birthdays together, gone karyoking (at a ridiculously nice place that was SOOO much fun), bowled, shopped, etc together and have had a blast. It's always scary to move to a new community, but the people have made it much easier to adjust.


The school: I don't know how I am ever going to go back to a public school. I have never been in a school so united in their vision and dedication to the kids. People are incredibly supportive and focused. Classes are tiny (my writing classes range from 9-15 kids and my lit classes max out at 26!). There are many resources available. The administration is so positive! I haven't even started teaching yet but know that this is going to be an amazing place to work.

My class: I have my own room! (I am lucky, many new staff are floaters). It is large and has a huge window that looks out onto the back stairs and quad area. I have plastered the walls with color. It is all set to welcome kids tomorrow. Many of the classes that I am teaching are still developing (as far as curriculum goes) but I feel confident that I can now at least look like I know what I am doing. I have bright colors and flashy first day activities to distract students from the fact that I am a first year teacher who is still in the process of figuring our what each of her classes is all about...I have been in school for what feels like forever and tomorrow is finally the moment of truth! CRAZY.


Anyhow, off to hike down some unnamed streets to an untitled ally where I will walk until I see some busses and turn left to hopefully find a specific store where I may or may not be able to communicate my needs... gotta love navigating in Korea (they don't label anything!). Miss you all... please let me know if you have joined Skype so I can talk to someone in the states! Keep me in the loop :)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Good luck! I know your first day will be just fine. My first day is tomorrow too, so I know how you feel! eeek! I'm so glad you have already made such great friends and are having a wonderful time :) I look forward to hearing more about your experiences and seeing all of your pictures. Take care, miss you tons!

Heather C. said...

Good luck today!!! I know they are going to be impressed and in love with their new fabulous teacher!!! Can't wait to hear how it goes, and I can't say how happy I am that everything so far is so great! Love you!

Gail said...

I hope your first day went well!!! Thanks for the update and pictures. I'm so glad that you have a nice built in community. I'm leaving camp tomorrow to go home for 12 days before heading back to NY. I'm glad it's done but I'm suddenly very aware that I'm leaving a bubble where no one cares what I do to a bubble where I feel like everyone is watching me. Looking forward to my own version of culture shock :) Miss you!!!

Able Ponder said...

what kind of classes were you teahing, that 26 kids is not that big? whoa.

you make moving to Korea sound so easy. COngrats, girl-- looks like you're having fun.

alexe